If you want to provide your customers with unique and personalized products, offering configurable options is the way to go. However, default WordPress installations have limited functionality in this area. That’s where a WooCommerce configurable product plugin comes in handy. Luckily, there are plenty of options available to choose from.
Why Offer Customized Products?
Configurable, personalized, or variable products are those that come with variations. For example, you can offer garments in different colors and with various graphics. The possibilities are endless for any product you offer.
There are numerous benefits to offering variable products:
- Personalization enhances the shopping experience, leading to increased trust, sales, and customer loyalty.
- Customized products help you stand out from the competition, especially when you offer unique customizations that can’t be found elsewhere.
- By measuring Customer Lifetime Value (CLV), you may notice an improvement due to repeat purchases.
- Overall, WooCommerce configurable products increase your income, return customers, and enhance the User Experience (UX). In fact, 80 percent of surveyed consumers make purchases based on available configurations, making it a smart move for your e-commerce store.
How to Create WooCommerce Configurable Products
To create configurable products, you need access to WooCommerce’s functionality. However, it’s not as straightforward as you might expect. While you can add product attributes within a default setup, it doesn’t cover variables. This is where a dedicated WordPress plugin comes into play, bridging the gap. Although there are numerous plugins available, not all offer the same features and functionality.
In the following sections, we’ll explore some of the most popular plugins on the market.
Top 7 Plugins for Configurable Products on Your WooCommerce Store
Throughout this article, we’ll delve into 7 different WooCommerce configurable product plugins, followed by a detailed guide on how to use our favorite one.
1. Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce
Let’s start with Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce, a user-friendly plugin that allows you to add custom fields to your online store effortlessly.
This plugin offers several ways to help your customers personalize their purchases, including:
- Adding extra product fields for customizations such as names, colors, wrapping styles, and more.
- Using a variety of field types, such as checkboxes and drop-down menus, to enhance selection.
- Incorporating color swatches, images, and date pickers to assist customers in personalizing their choices.
- Allowing customers to edit cart options directly from the cart page, reducing the likelihood of them leaving your store.
Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce also offers compatibility with other WordPress themes and plugins. Additionally, there are add-ons available to further enhance functionality, such as pre-filled fields, layered images, and live previews. With licenses starting at $59 per year and a 14-day money-back guarantee, it’s a plugin worth trying.
2. WooCommerce Product Configurator
IconicWPs WooCommerce Product Configurator focuses on visual appeal, utilizing layered images to create different product configurations right from the WordPress dashboard.
This plugin excels in two areas:
- Managing product variations using layered PNG files for quick customization and time-saving product image creation.
- Customizing stock for each configuration, allowing you to monitor stock levels efficiently.
WooCommerce Product Configurator costs $79 per year for a single-site license, offering a visually attractive solution. However, if you require more flexibility, Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce might be a better choice.
3. Composite Products
Although default WooCommerce installations lack configurable product options, the platform offers the Composite Products extension as a first-party solution.
Composite Products allows customers to create a product from various specified parts, providing you with plenty of versatility. Notable features include:
- Customizable flow and layout options for your composite products, including checkboxes, images, drop-down menus, and more.
- Conditional logic functionality to streamline the purchasing process.
- Powerful product grouping options to ensure consistency among similarly configured products.
For $99 per year, Composite Products integrates seamlessly with other WooCommerce extensions. However, keep in mind that it offers a specific focus, which may not meet your needs for a fully versatile WooCommerce configurable product plugin.
4. Yith Composite Products for WooCommerce
Yith also offers a Composite Products for WooCommerce extension, providing a similar experience to the official WooCommerce extension.
This plugin allows customers to create products from various parts, along with an array of features:
- Flexible display options for composite components, including different types of lists and stepped styles.
- Various ways to showcase the product list based on your specific requirements.
- Ability to set mandatory components, auto-select unique components, and make components exclusive to certain products.
Priced at $99.99 per year, Yith Composite Products for WooCommerce provides a comprehensive solution. However, like other plugins on this list, it focuses on specific functionality and may not offer the same versatility as Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce.
5. Yith WooCommerce Product Add-Ons & Extra Options
If you need more than Yith’s Composite Products extension provides, consider their WooCommerce Product Add-Ons & Extra Options plugin.
This plugin offers a broader scope for various applications, allowing customers to select additional options for your core product. Its features include:
- A wide range of elements, such as text fields, checkboxes, radio buttons, color swatches, and more.
- Basic logic functionality within the plugin, enabling you to add dependency rules for field selection.
- Ability to customize the extension for different products, from computer parts to food and services.
While Yith’s Product Add-Ons & Extra Options plugin differs from their Composite Products offering, it still lacks the overall flexibility of Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce. Additionally, it may impact site performance. Consider these factors when making your decision.
6. WooCommerce Extra Product Options
With its high sales and positive user feedback, WooCommerce Extra Product Options stands out as a WooCommerce configurable product plugin worth considering.
This plugin offers extensive features and a unique approach:
- A drag-and-drop builder for creating product options.
- The ability to create templates for use across your WordPress website.
- Conditional logic built into the plugin.
- Different display options, such as typical displays, pop-ups, and sliders.
For $49, WooCommerce Extra Product Options provides a comprehensive package. However, keep in mind that this price covers a single-site license and only six months of support and updates. It may be beneficial to invest in longer support or additional licenses for your sites.
7. WooCommerce Product Add-Ons
Where WooCommerce’s Composite Products extension falls short, the Product Add-Ons plugin fills in the gaps. This simple solution allows you to offer optional extras at checkout.
This plugin offers straightforward ways to add add-ons to your product pages, focusing on features such as:
- Using WooCommerce metaboxes to add checkboxes, text areas, custom price fields, product images, and more to product pages.
- Applying flat fees, quantity-based pricing, and percentage-based pricing.
- Guaranteed compatibility with other first-party WooCommerce extensions.
Priced at $49 per year, WooCommerce Product Add-Ons is a cost-effective option. However, it’s worth noting that user reviews and ratings aren’t exceptional. Consider exploring plugins with better feedback and greater flexibility.
How to Use the Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce Plugin
In our final section, we’ll provide a brief overview of how to use the Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce plugin. After installing and activating the plugin, navigate to WooCommerce → Settings → Product Fields:
Within the Product Fields tab, you can adjust settings according to your preferences. Options include displaying custom fields on cart or checkout pages, enabling cart editing, and showing product price hints.
Additionally, you’ll find AJAX loading options for improved performance, as well as options to customize field labels, among others. This setup process takes just a minute or two, after which you can start using the plugin.
Adding New Fields to Products
There are two ways to add new fields, and we’ll focus on adding consistent custom fields to your products.
To do this, go to WooCommerce → Product Fields → Add New:
This opens a page to set up a new field group:
Here, provide a reference title for your group, and then add custom fields for configurable products. Click “Add your first field” to view a variety of options for creating fields:
While we can’t cover all the options here, an important feature is the field Type, which allows you to choose formats such as drop-down menus, checkboxes, radio buttons, and more:
Once you’ve organized your fields, establish conditional rules to display them correctly on your site using the Conditions metabox. You can create complex rules using AND and OR operators, along with a predetermined list of selections:
You also have layout options to display labels and instructions appropriately. After making these adjustments, click Publish to save your changes. Finally, review your new configurable products on the front end:
From here, you can further optimize and refine your custom fields. Explore the Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce documentation for additional tips, tricks, and guides to maximize the plugin’s potential.
Customizable products offer your customers exactly what they want, enhancing their overall satisfaction. While WordPress doesn’t provide this functionality out of the box, WooCommerce does. However, there are still limitations to overcome.
With a WooCommerce configurable product plugin like Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce, offering a personalized selection of products becomes a breeze. This plugin is user-friendly, reliable, flexible, and versatile. It’s also compatible with virtually any theme, and coding knowledge is not required.
The best part is that the Pro license is available for $59 per year, backed by a 14-day money-back guarantee!
ProgramMatek – Enhance Your WooCommerce Store with Configurable Products