Opensource PHP ecommerce platforms have completely transformed the online shopping industry.
Using most of these platforms makes starting an ecommerce store a breeze. Even if you have little to no coding knowledge, you can still create your own online store with ease. While some platforms may require technical expertise, it’s nothing too complex that can deter you from entering the ecommerce scene.
Below, you’ll find a compilation of 13 popular PHP ecommerce platforms. Each platform has its own advantages and disadvantages. Take a look at them and decide which one suits you best.
List of Opensource Ecommerce Platforms and Shopping Carts
Here’s a collection of some top ecommerce website builders that allow you to create an online store for free:
WooCommerce is one of the best free ecommerce platforms based on PHP. It’s an ecommerce plugin that functions as an extension to the WordPress CMS. According to webtribunal, 28.19% of all ecommerce stores globally are built using WooCommerce. You can set up the WooCommerce plugin in just a few minutes.
To optimize your store, you can use top-notch WooCommerce plugins for the best results. Hosting a WooCommerce store can be challenging for beginners, but with Cloudways, you can take your store online in just a few clicks. Our platform is beginner-friendly and offers optimized ecommerce web hosting to contribute to your store’s online growth.
- Highly scalable
- Drag and drop store builder
- No need for HTML and CSS knowledge
- Wide range of free and paid themes and plugins available
- Technical assistance may be needed as the store scales
- No native hosting services, but you can solve this issue by getting optimized WooCommerce hosting by Cloudways.
Magento is one of the most trusted ecommerce platforms and shopping carts for individuals and enterprises alike. According to builtwith, 0.86% of the top 1 million ecommerce websites worldwide are built on Magento.
This ecommerce platform is based on a PHP framework that allows you to easily build scalable online businesses. It offers multiple extensions for seamless integration of third-party apps with your ecommerce store. Setting up a store on Magento might require the help of a professional Magento developer, but with some understanding of PHP, you can manage it on your own.
- Highly customizable and scalable platform
- Advanced SEO tools and solutions for better store ranking
- Large community of developers for support
- Requires a higher budget to set up the store
- Time-consuming to set up
- Incompetent hosting solutions can hinder store scalability
Drupal Commerce is another popular PHP opensource ecommerce solution used by over 500,000 websites. It offers an organized system for tracking orders, receipts, payments, and invoices, along with integrating various shipping and payment options. This platform is based on the Drupal content management system and provides a complete administration system, including checkout forms and multi-currency support. It also offers third-party integrations for social networks, fulfillment, and accounting services.
- Active community for problem-solving
- Highly customizable platform with third-party integrations
- Access to marketing and SEO tools for better online presence
- Not suitable for absolute beginners
- Requires a managed hosting platform like Cloudways for easy management of a Drupal site.
Joomla is another fantastic PHP-based solution for creating an ecommerce store. The platform offers a range of features, including SEO and inventory management tools that can help you grow your store. Setting up a store on Joomla is straightforward, thanks to its active community ready to assist users facing any difficulties. There are already over 2.5 million live websites using Joomla.
- Tight-knit community of developers ready to offer support
- Highly customizable platform that allows selling digital products
- Easy to use and make edits
- Some plugins may not be beginner-friendly
- Paid plugins may be required
- Store performance is best with Joomla-specific web hosting solutions. Incompetent hosting solutions and shared hosting can negatively impact the store.
OpenCart is a popular free PHP ecommerce shopping cart and platform. It’s easy to set up a basic ecommerce store using OpenCart. However, the default features of the platform are limited. Customization options are restricted, and SEO options are minimal. OpenCart is best suited for those looking to start a store without any assistance, but as the store grows, challenges may arise.
- Easy to use and manage for beginners
- Multiple inventory management options available
- Ideal for Cash on Delivery online stores
- Limited payment gateway options
- SEO optimization can be challenging due to limited compatible SEO tools
Prestashop is a PHP-based ecommerce shopping cart and platform built on the Smarty template engine. It offers hundreds of features, including on-page checkout, downloadable products, cross-selling, and one-page checkout. Prestashop is used in 160 countries and is accessible in 63 different languages. It also comes with customizable themes and feature add-ons.
- Affordable platform for developing an ecommerce store
- Easy to install, making it beginner-friendly
- Comes with essential features to run an ecommerce store
- Limited support available
- Store scalability can be an issue in the future
- Limited number of Prestashop hosting options available for great performance
Bagisto is an opensource ecommerce platform powered by PHP’s Laravel framework. It offers a wide range of basic to advanced ecommerce enabling features, making it a go-to platform for startups and small to medium-sized business owners. With Bagisto, you can create a multi-vendor marketplace with RTL support and powerful SEO features. You can also manage multi-channel inventories from a single website and easily monitor your product stock across different inventory sources.
- Several customization options available
- Suitable for those who want to avoid complex coding and frameworks
- Active community of developers supporting the open-source platform
- Community is limited compared to WooCommerce
- Finding solutions to problems can be challenging at times
- Installing new modules can be difficult for new users
Yii2 is one of the simplest PHP ecommerce store builders. It comes with great features and is sufficient for small to medium-sized online businesses. Many business owners choose Yii2 to build their online stores. However, it may require assistance from Yii2 development service providers to set up a store.
- Secure platform for developing an online store
- Easy to learn and make changes
- Convenient for small to medium-sized businesses
- Slow updates from framework developers
- Smaller community compared to platforms like WooCommerce
9. Zen Cart
Zen Cart is an ecommerce opensource platform based on PHP. It was developed with absolute beginners in mind, making it easy to set up your Zen Cart store. Although it’s not a mainstream platform due to its limitations in customizations, it has a dedicated community with over 150,000 active members worldwide.
- Beginner-friendly interface
- Simple store setup process
- Easy product management with Zen Cart
- Many free and paid templates available
- Zen Cart stores may not have the most visually appealing designs
- Limited options for scaling and customizing the store
- Advanced users may require more customization options
10. Craft Commerce
Craft Commerce is another PHP-based ecommerce store builder to consider in 2023. Although relatively new, Craft Commerce is gaining popularity due to its beginner-friendly interface and customization options. It offers a free solo version for use and makes building a customizable website with a responsive design easy. Several SEO tools are compatible with Craft Commerce, helping your store achieve better rankings.
- Limited community members
- Limited number of themes available
- Advanced packages require payment
Codeigniter is a brilliant ecommerce platform built on PHP that is gaining traction lately. It was released in 2006 and has rolled out numerous updates since then. The admin panel is easy to navigate, and it’s not a hassle to run a store built on this online store builder.
- Fast and high-performing stores
- Friendly for beginners and advanced coders alike
- Highly customizable platform with decent security
- Professional help may be required for maintaining the store
- Limited libraries available
12. Symfony 3
Around 36,000 websites are built on the Symfony 3 platform, according to builtwith. It’s a reliable platform for building ecommerce stores, offering good security, an active community, and endless customization options.
- Fast and secure websites
- Reliable platform with fewer crashes
- Stores built on Symfony 3 are as secure as those built on Magento or Drupal, as they use the same PHP elements for security.
- Technical assistance may be needed to build a Symfony 3 store
- Beginners may find managing a Symfony 3 store challenging
Zeuscart is another PHP ecommerce platform that is straightforward to use. It supports many features that can help you increase sales and promote your business effectively. Even non-technical users can start using Zeuscart to build an online store with minimum effort.
- Fast loading stores
- Beginner-friendly interface
- Good customer support for store owners and developers
- Professional help may be required for advanced options
The above-mentioned PHP Opensource Ecommerce Platforms are some of the best options available today. Remember that each platform offers a different set of benefits, so choose the one that best fits your business needs. Most of these platforms are beginner-friendly, but some may require professional help. Also, not all platforms offer the highest level of security. Consider PHP hosting by Cloudways to add an extra layer of security to your online stores!